Work has started with the Carnforth ovens. They have expanded to take in other coke ovens located as still existing on the Lancaster Canal, and having some details of others which have gone. The Carnforth ovens are actually very close to the Bolton-le-Sands boundary. Just walk along Thwaite Brow Lane from canal bridge 125, excavation work being visible by looking over the wall on the left, by where the horses are kept. Carry on along the lane and down to bridge 127 and just before there are the Carnforth ovens. From a list of Lancaster Canal rentals, we know that both sets of ovens existed in 1817. That particular track and path were part of the Garstang and Heron Syke turnpike road, which is shown on Yates’s map. The road diversion to its present route was presumably done by the Lancaster Canal Company when they built the canal.
- Re-opening of Bolton-le-Sands Library
- Road Works on Shore Lane